Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Crossroads" for Colby

That's what I'm calling this quilt.  It's for my nephew, Colby.  He'll be 3 in August and this is supposed to be his birthday present.... although I may have to give it to him now!  lol  I'm never this early with a birthday gift but when I seen this Moda Honeybun - Zippety Doo Dah - I couldn't resist!  It has Colby's name written all over it!  It didn't take very long to come up with this pattern.  The strips in the honeybun are 1 1/2" wide.  I started by sorting them into color-groups and then just started putting a Red, Cream & Blue together for each set of 3.  Once they were sewn and pressed I cut  3 1/2" sections and just started playing around until I came up with this pattern. 

If you look closely at the cream strips between the blocks, you'll see that it's a "homespun" fabric which isn't exactly "quilt material" but it was truly the closest thing I could come up with when I was looking for a cream fabric.  Am I happy with it?  No.  Not at all.  I'll never make that mistake again.   I wanted to have a cream sashing around each block and then just have the red sashing around the outter part of that.  I ripped out so many seams just trying to line up the blocks - because "homespun" is so loosely woven that it pulls and distorts very easily - that I finally said enough was enough!  I didn't have the energy to rip out the smaller pieces between the blocks but I guess it didn't turn out too terribly bad the way it is.  All the red sashing is cut at 2".

The striped blue fabric - or "ticking" as it's also known - around the outter edge is from some yardage that was in one of several boxes of fabric that was given to me a few years ago.  I had no idea what I was going to do with all of it but when I started this quilt for Colby I knew exactly what I was going to use it for!  I cut the "ticking" at 6 1/2". 



Each block has it's own unique personality....  just like Colby!  lol 

This is just a closer view of some of the blocks but you can see a little of the ticking off to the left of the picture.  Although it's a different shade of blue than the rest of the quilt I think it's a good match. 

Tomorrow I'll layer and baste then start quilting....  I'm just not sure how I want to quilt it though.  Probably just meandering, like I usually do.  That seems to work best for me! lol

Happy Crafting!  Have a great night! 

Photobucket

No comments: